Mountain Vista Winery & Vineyards is located in the heart of the original winemaking center of California— the Cucamonga Valley. Long before Napa and Sonoma counties rose to global prominence in winemaking, the area now known as Rancho Cucamonga and Ontario were considered the nation’s preeminent centers of viticulture. Our winery is designed to honor a local tradition that goes back more than 150 years.
Grape cultivation in our region dates back to 1838 as part of a Mexican land grant in Alta California by Tiburcio Tapia. In 1859, rancher John Rains began large vine plantings in Cucamonga, introducing agriculture on a large scale to replace traditional cattle and sheep ranching in the region.
Between the turn of the twentieth century and the advent of Prohibition in 1919, the Cucamonga Valley produced more wine grapes than Napa and Sonoma counties combined, and the Cucamonga-Guasti vineyards spanned more than 5,000 contiguous acres, prompting Secondo Guasti to advertise his vineyard as “The Largest in the World.”
But the end of Prohibition in 1933 did not ease pressure on the local wine industry. At its peak during the 1940s, the Cucamonga Valley was home to more than 60 wineries and 35,000 acres of vineyards. But the agricultural business faced increased pressure from the growing footprint of development from both Los Angeles and Orange counties. By the 1970s, vineyards across the region had been plowed under for housing and business development.